It all begins with a classic story: Boy meets girl. A romance is sparked. They share a kiss at midnight on Paris's Pont des Arts. But fate intervenes,
and they are separated. Each night, they send wisheshe upon a star, she upon a kitethat, one day, they will reunite.
This tale of love found and lost inspired the "Poetic Wish" watches from Van Cleef & Arpels. Mini works of art on the outside and exemplary
displays of technical watchmaking behind the dial, these masterpieces are in need of their own happily ever after.
The lucky buyer will also receive two business-class tickets to Paris and Geneva to tour the Van Cleef & Arpels boutique, atelier, and watchmaking workshops.
- The "Poetic Wish" watches are a marvel of technology and craft. The movement alone took three years of development and a highly skilled team of 5 engineers and watchmakers.
- Each watch features an innovative Five Minute repeater movement, three integrated automatons (a person's silhouette, a mother-of-pearl cloud, and either a diamond shooting star or an enamel kite), and a handcrafted enamel dial executed with marquetry, stone setting, and gold sculptingeach depicting a Parisian landmark: his, the Notre Dame; hers, the Eiffel Tower.
- Dial scenes become animated on demand, and the love story is brought to life both visually and audibly. On the lady's, the woman's silhouette indicates the hour by moving slowly across the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower, and a lucky kite indicates the minutes as it ascends in the sky. As these characters are in motion the sound of the Notre Dame bells chime: one sound for the hours and another sound for each five-minute interval. Similarly, on the men's dial, a young man on the Notre Dame moves across the terrace to indicate the hours, and a diamond star shoots up in the sky to indicate the minutes. The sound of the Notre Dame bells unites the two lovers.
- Time may also be read on the backside. A transparent crystal case reveals the innovative movement of this Five Minute repeater, hammers, bells, and two display dials: one for the hours and minutes; the other for the seconds.
- An engraving that reads "Reve A Paris, Fait A Geneve" (Dreamed of in Paris, made in Geneva) can be read through the sapphire crystal back. This reveals VCA's unique creative process and development of this poetic masterpiece between Paris, the magical city of love and romance that is home to Van Cleef & Arpels, and Geneva, the heart of high-end watchmaking.
- Each watch arrives in a handmade mother-of-pearl inlaid wood cabinet. The marquetry cabinets depict the Parisian scenes that corresponds to the watches: the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. When the two cabinets are positioned side by side they reveal the landscape of the love story.
- Watch cases are 18-karat white gold and set with diamonds of D, E, or F color and VVS clarity.
- Straps are a pearl gray moiré silk for her and navy alligator for him.
- The package includes a trip to Paris for a weekend, where you'll visit the Van Cleef & Arpels boutique and jewelry atelier. And a trip to Geneva for a day of private tours of the Van Cleef & Arpels watchmaking workshops and a meeting with the designers and watchmakers.
- While in Paris and Geneva, Van Cleef & Arpels will arrange luxury accommodations, remarkable dining experiences, and entertainment to suit your preferences.
- Date of trip is subject to availability and confirmation from Van Cleef & Arpels.
Neiman Marcus will donate $10,000 for each His & Hers 2012 gift sold to The Norman Mailer Center, which supports writers who challenge readers'
perspectives on the world around them. For additional information, call 1-877-9NM-GIFT.
Click here to see a video of the His & Hers Van Cleef & Arpels "Poetic Wish" Watches & Trip.